- Believe that God loves you; He has shown this by giving His Son as a sacrifice for all you’ve done wrong and for all your sins. Admitting that you have sinned is a prerequisite to accepting Christ, and the hardest step to take. Once you understand that you are a sinner and have sinned, turn to the Lord Jesus Christ for forgiveness by repenting of your sins. Repentance is the decision to turn away from sin and to turn to God and obey him. Once you have done this, every other step will fall into place. If you still have a hard time with this concept, trust Jesus as Lord over you as well as Savior.
- Know that the Bible is God’s Word to mankind, written by people God chose to write it. The people who wrote the Bible were inspired by God to write it.
- Know the Bible teaches that all people have sin in their lives. Sin is anything that displeases God.Romans 3:23 (NIV)“for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,”That means ‘everyone’. Sin separates us from God, who is perfect. The payment we pay for sin is death-permanent separation from God.Romans 6:23 (NIV)“For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
- Know the free gift of God is His son Jesus.John 3:16 (NIV)“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”Belief is trust and faith that God is who He says He is. He provided the payment for our sin by His own son’s death.
- Understand the difference between heaven and hell, and how Jesus can help you avoid the latter. All sins, past, present and future were forgiven by Christ at the cross.Hebrews 10:10 (NIV)“And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.”
- Know when Jesus was nailed to the cross He bled.Hebrews 9:22 (NIV)“In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.”Jesus died to pay for the sins of man.
- Talk to God in your own words. Tell God you believe on Him and that you accept His Son as your Savior. Ask God to lead and guide you day by day.
- Congregate regularly with other Christians who can help you grow in your new life.
- Follow Christ’s teachings.
- If you have accepted Christ as your savior,Romans 10:13 (NIV)“for, ‘Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.'”You are now a child of God. Just believe what the bible says, and accept what it says practically, as if what it says is exactly what it means.
- Just because you are now a Christian doesn’t mean you can wear only white clothes etc. just dress modestly and don’t try to attract attention with your clothes.
- Now that you have chosen to accept Christ and receive his forgiveness for your sin, don’t take advantage of his forgiveness and commit wrong like watching bad movies, reading porn magazines, etc. Don’t beat yourself up if you do sin, remember that we will only be perfect once we get to heaven!
- Christianity may be metaphorically compared to a race. A race to reach the finish line (Heaven) is our ultimate goal, but how we run the race is more important than when we finish the race. We pause to help others along the way (benevolence, and bringing others to Christ), and sometimes stumble on obstacles in the way (our sin, others’ sin). Christianity isn’t an easy path. It may be easy to ‘run the first lap’, but the race becomes more difficult as we mature in our faith. Never forget to ask Jesus’ help, because we are not alone in the ‘race’.
- You can approach God anytime. talk to him as you would with a regular friend. We have direct access to him!
- Plug into a church or a youth group. They will help you know more about God and be closer to him. Don’t be too proud by thinking that you can walk with God alone. Christian friends build you up and encourage you, so plug into a church as soon as possible.
- Church does not mean a building. It means, and has from the beginning, a group of people who have accepted Jesus as the One True God meeting in the same place to celebrate what they have and learn from each other how God is working in their lives. This can happen anywhere, at set times, or even spontaneously.
- If your parents don’t approve of the church thing, seek the help of the pastor or youth leader of the church you want to go to, or any other church. Technically, you aren’t a member of the church yet; you’re just seeking the help of a pastor or youth leader.
- Remember that God is the saviour of all mankind, not just white men, or men that have been taught in the ways of a religion. Anyone who accepts Christ as their Savior and leads a good life, as God would have had him live it, will be accepted into heaven joyfully. For ours is a forgiving God, who gave his son for us, to forgive all original sin, and therefore, these children are no less accessible to heaven then the Pope.
A Simple Key
- Learn about Jesus and believe that He died, rose from the dead as your Savior and then pray and repent to the one, true God saying: “I am sorry for my sin, all my wrong doing; I want to change, and I truly thank you for everything and that I am now forgiven and saved from the penalty for my sins as a free gift, in Jesus’ name.” Now tell others that “There is one Christ Jesus, the Son of God, who is Lord and Savior for everyone who believes, repents and follows him:” which should include going to Christian meetings, being baptized as a sign of accepting your new life, praying to God, showing God’s love by kindness, forgiving others, making peace, fellowshipping with believers, and when you sin asking for (and accepting) forgiveness, expecting consequences for some wrongs and going on, all in Christ Jesus’ name — with God as the one, true Judge of all things good or bad.
- Do not expect that this is an easy life. Some example may be found in books like Jesus Freaks, The Hiding Place, Boom, Heavenly Man, or Christian magazines such as OpenDoors International or Voice of the Martyrs to find out what true faith looks like worldwide.
- Don’t ever suppose that God doesn’t care about what you do from now on. Always be aware that he doesn’t want you to go back and do the sin that you were used to. He has made you a different person so you can live ‘above’ sin, not fall back into it. Always remember that you will undoubtedly be tempted to sin, but you can pray daily that God will keep you from failing. If you do sin, ask forgiveness from God right away, and ask him to help you not to do it again. If you have wronged someone else, go and apologize, no matter how hard it may be it will always be worth it to make restitution. Again, do not dwell on it, but get back to following Jesus and His example.
- For some people becoming a Christian is an emotional step; for others it is a simple act of trust without emotions. God will save you with or without emotions.
- Do not expect all your family and friends to like the new you, but it is OK, Jesus never said that it would be easy, He just said that it would be the truth.
- The grace of Jesus covers all sins. None of your words or actions can ever keep you from salvation and God’s loving embrace. The only exception to this is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, but this only applies to those who are already believers and speak vile words or commit vile acts against the Holy Spirit.Luke 12:10 (NIV)“And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.”Aside from this only exception, the grace of Jesus is yours when you believe in Him — when you commit yourself to Christ.Ephesians 1:12-14 (NIV)“And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.”
- Be aware, once you’ve accepted Christ into your life, that persecution knows no bounds. Now that you understand and feel the love of Jesus, you may become one of Satan’s prime targets. Fret not, though, because nothing on earth or in Hell can harm your faith with God daily at your side. Do not worry about it, but rather remember this when you face temptations to sin.
Things You’ll Need
- The Bible. In some countries, it is very difficult to obtain a copy of the Bible due to the persecution of Christians or lack of adequate funding or supply. The word of God, as written in the Bible, is the truth necessary for understanding what it means to be a Christian. Owning a copy of the Bible isn’t necessary, but having access to the Bible (ie: from the Internet or through verbal communication between others) is essential.
- Other Christians to encourage and guide you. If you don’t know any other Christians, praise God for the mission field He has placed you in! You may feel inexperienced, but ask God what He wants to do and then do it. He may ask this of you, and possibly in a specific way, but verify it is truly Him by comparing it with His word (the Bible).
- How to Become A Christian
- How to Read the Bible
- How to Have a Personal Relationship With God
- How to Address Your Doubts About Catholicism
- How to Celebrate Lent
- How to Avoid Sabotaging Your Prayer Life
- How to Understand Prophecies About the Messiah
- How to Help Paranoid People
Sources and Citations
- Bible Gateway – Versions. 50 Bibles in 35 Languages. Free to download. http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/
- Bible Gateway – Main. http://www.biblegateway.com/
- World English Bible. Simple website, powerful message. http://ebible.org/bible/web/
- World English Bible. New Testament in .PDF format. http://ebible.org/bible/web/webnt.pdf
- Persecution: Voice of the Martyrs – http://www.persecution.com
- Global Outreach: OpenDoors USA – http://www.opendoorsusa.org
Article provided by wikiHow, a collaborative writing project to build the world’s largest, highest quality how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Accept Christ As Your Savior. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.