Incredible. The one picture of them pushing the choppers off the aircraft carrier had more to the story. A Vietnamese pilot who flew with the Americans had his family in a prop plane and was approaching the carrier. They waved him off saying they had no room. He radioed back his wife and children were on board and he was low on fuel. He informed them he couldn’t back or they would be killed by the Vietcong. He said he would rather they die crashing on the deck trying to make it to safety then die at the hands of the Vietcong. When they heard this the crew began pushing aircraft over the side to to make room. He was out of fuel and just barely made it, but he did.
1. Boxing in Yankee stadium (1923).
2. A Russian spy laughing through his execution (1939).
3. The evacuation of Saigon, in which some 45 UH-1
Huey’s and one CH-47 Chinook
were pushed overboard to make room for others to land (1975).
4. The first passengers on the brand new New York subway (1904).
5. Ernest Hemingway at a Havana bar (date unknown).
6. Princeton students after a Freshman/Sophomore snowball fight (1893).
7. Policemen inspect a lumber truck that smelled of alcohol
during prohibition (1926).
8. Archduke Franz Ferdinand with his wife on the day they were assassinated,
which contributed to the start of WWI (1914).
9. A native American watching the newly completed transcontinental railroad
in Nevada (1868).
10. The oldest running car on the planet: the 1884 De Dion, Bouton et
Trepardou Dos-Ã -Dos.
11. A newly liberated French citizen happily lights Winston Churchills
12. A US soldier offering his hand to a woman leaving a cave
13. Queen Elizabeth during her WWII service.
14. A last picture of the Titanic before sinking (1912).
15. A pyramid of helmets from captured German soldiers on display
in New York (1918).
16. Construction of Brasilia City, which would later become the
capital of Brazil (1960).
17. Boeing 707 doing a barrel roll. When questioned about the stunt,
the test pilot said: just selling airplanes.
18. Niels Bohr and Albert Einstein debating over quantum mechanics
19. Fidel Castro and Malcolm X (1960).
20. 106-year-old Armenian woman protecting her home with
an AK-47 (1990).
21. Star Wars set at lunchtime.
22. A WWI submarine washed ashore on the beach in England .
23. William Harley and Arthur Davidson (1914).
24. Execution of a German communist in Munich (1919).
25. Muhammad Ali trying to talk down a suicidal man (1981).
26. Construction of Mt. Rushmore National Memorial (1939).
27. The assembly line of Porsche 911s at the Stuttgart factory (1970)
28. American soldiers discover Manet’s painting hidden in the salt mines
29. John Young and Charles Duke training for the Apollo 16 mission
in the New Mexico desert.
30. A rebel soldier tosses a grenade into a loyalist position in Burgos,
31. Anne Frank pokes her head out of her familys flat in Amsterdam (1942).
32. Archaeologist Howard Carter examining the opened sarcophagus
of King Tut.
33. Hitler inspecting the massive 800mm Schwerer Gustav "railway gun“
the largest-caliber rifled weapon ever used in combat (1942).
34. Russian soldiers preparing for a gas attack against German positions
35. Eyes of hate: a photo of Goebbels after finding out his photographer
36. The first Wal-Mart store opened in 1962 by Sam Walton. It was called
Walton’s Five and Dime.
37. The Boeing B-29 Superfortress bomber that dropped the nuclear bomb
over Hiroshima .
38. Albert Einsteins desk photographed the day after his death.
39. B-32 Bomber Factory in Fort Worth , Texas (1944).
40. The Cologne cathedral amidst the ruins (1944).
41. A rare photo of a young Winston Churchill (1895).
42. The construction of the Golden GateBridge in San Francisco (1937).
43. Pre Taliban days in Afghanistan when women enjoyed professional careers,
university education, By mid-90s, the Taliban outlawed employment
and education of women over the age of 8.
44. Gadget, the first atomic bomb.
45. The night they ended Prohibition (December 5, 1933).
46. German prisoners marching to Moscow after their defeat
at Belarus (1944).
47. Testing a bulletproof vest (1923).
48. Gas masks for babies tested at an English hospital (1940).
49. Control room of the UB-110 German submarine (1918).
50. A V-1 flying bomb buzz bomb plunging toward London (1945).
51. Buzz Aldrin taking a selfie in space (1966).
52. Samuel Reshevsky, age 8, defeating several chess masters at once
in France (1920).
53. USAF B-25 sinks Japanese destroyer Amatsukaze off the coast of Xiamen,
54. An assassin attacking the socialist politician Inejiro Asanuma in Tokyo,
55. A woman who survived the Nagasaki bombing (1945).
56. The first car factory in the US for Ford (1926).
57. Allied forces mocking Hitler (1945).
58. A US soldier replacing Adolf-Hitler-Street sign with a Roosevelt Blvd sign in Berlin, Germany (1945).
This is why we enjoy photographs ~ they recall History so easily ~ Enjoy!